Photobucket

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Nostalgia Mixed with Pursuit of the Infinite

There's that thing they say, about being late and never doing something at all. It's already seven days into 2012, and I haven't said anything about 2011. Which I guess isn't too surprising, since I don't say too many things around here any more. There's the 9th anniversary post I should have done in October, the Now-I'm-No-Longer-A-Bright-Young-Thing post I should have done in May. When I get caught up in the supposed-toos, I end up in the nevers.

Sometimes a year ties itself up neatly in a bow. Sometimes, something begins in January. Last January, out of nowhere, my PhD project started working. This made my life alternately beautiful, frustrating, complicated and tear-inducing. I didn't sleep that much in January. Or October. And I still made it through. Maybe that was this year's lesson: you will probably survive whatever you are doing now. So, keep doing it. Even when it sucks and when it's hard. And even when it's absurdly easy, and you think you can do it with your eyes closed.

This was a fun year, most of it, but I think most of my years are. I like to orient myself around people who laugh often and loudly, and my days are certainly better because of it. I worked hard, but I had so much fun too.

So, what did I do in 2011?

Photobucket
I was completely unable to take myself seriously almost 100% of the time.

Photobucket
I got love notes in the lab.

Photobucket
I worked hard.

Photobucket
No, seriously, hard.

Photobucket
Really, really hard.

Photobucket
Prepared for a hurricane that never came.

Photobucket
Made some terrible terrible decisions.

Photobucket
Organized a completely successful Lab Olympics.

Photobucket
Celebrated the Royal Wedding.

Photobucket
Held back proud tears as I watched my friends take the Hippocratic Oath.

Photobucket
Continued my girl crush on my brother's girlfriend.

Photobucket
Bruised my ribs cutting off my alarm on Cinco de Mayo.

Photobucket
Got all dressed up for Halloween...

Photobucket
as my boss...

Photobucket
much to the delight of my boss.

Photobucket
Had fun with my family.

Photobucket
Became the shortest of my siblings, right before my sister became a teenager.

Photobucket
Made midnight cake with a wonderful old friend, talked shit while we did it.

Photobucket
Woke up early in the morning for my health.

Photobucket
Ran a 5K in a cape in a month that wasn't October. Also, made my own bad-ass Robin costume.

Photobucket
Trained for and ran a half-marathon.

Photobucket
Found out that I totally do not look cute when I run.

Photobucket
We moved to a house, adopted a dog and rapidly fell in love with her.

Photobucket
And took the whole thing in stride, holding hands and laughing all the way.

***
I've given up on New Year's Resolutions, not because I don't believe in having direction but because I rarely feel very resolved. Defining them as resolutions gives you too much time to fail; you pile all of the pressure on the first part of the year. Doing that primes yourself for failure; the first few times you find yourself not acting how you have "resolved" to, you give up. So, instead, I have goals. Goals that I have a whole year to accomplish.

The sports store where I buy my running shoes have a good guideline for goals; their mnemonic is SMART and stands for specific, measurable, agreed, realistic and timed. For a few months, I've been thinking about these guidelines and what I want to accomplish this year, so I have decided on 12 specific goals for 2012.

Creative:
1) Take a basic sewing machine class
2) Take a letterpress class.
3) Write stories for each round of NPR's Three-Minute Fiction

Health:
4) Lose final 60 pounds. This is important, because I will hopefully going back on the wards next year, and I want to give myself the health advantage, because I know it can be difficult to keep up with once you are in the clinics.
5) Exercise at least 4 times a week.
6) Run at least one half-marathon.
7) Run a full marathon.
8) Eat at home at least five nights of the week.

Random:
9) Read one new book per month.
10) Listen to one new album per month.
11) Complete the 2000 piece puzzle I got for Christmas.
12) Publish a first-author science journal paper.

***
2012 got off to a crappy start; I got sick on January 2nd, and I've been tired since before Christmas, and it's a long time until Memorial Day, the first day of the year my lab counts as a holiday. Some people would give up then and there, take it as a sign that it's going to be a bad year. But I don't think it will be. I'm pretty sure.




1 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

Glad to see you back!

btw, SMART is also a mnemonic used for writing IEPs (individual educational programs, which are also binding legal documents) for children with disabilities - each goal must be SMART - specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and timely. :)

January 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<
Real Time Web Analytics